Thank you for your interest in Polyvance’s “Nitrogen Plastic Welding 1” course at Polyvance University.
This course builds on the material from our “Basics of Plastic Repair” course and focuses on the practical knowledge you will need to perform actual fusion repairs on damaged thermoplastics with the nitrogen plastic welder.
After completing this course, you should be able to understand the complete process involved in repairing a damaged plastic bumper cover with a nitrogen plastic welder, from proper alignment and fixturing, to v-groove preparation, to the welding process itself. With this background, you should be able to start using your nitrogen plastic welder to perform repairs on damaged thermoplastic plastic bumper covers and other thermoplastic parts.
This course will take approximately 1 hour to complete. It is broken up into several bite-sized lessons, so you can complete it on your schedule.
Each lesson must be completed in order. Each slide in a lesson must be viewed for the lesson to count as “completed.” The first two quizzes do not require a passing score, but the student must pass the final quiz with a score of 70% or better to complete the course.
No prior training or body shop experience is necessary, although familiarity with grinding and sanding tools is a plus.
If an Internet connection is available, this course can be completed on a desktop or laptop, smartphone, or tablet. Audio is used throughout the course. Your pop-up blocker may prevent you from taking the course, or it may prompt you to temporarily allow pop-ups. The Tortal website runs best in Google Chrome. For the best visual experience, take the course on a desktop or laptop.
PDF documents containing links to supporting material can be found on this page. The links can be opened and bookmarked for future reference.
A certificate will be emailed to you upon completion of the course. You will be also able to view the certificate by clicking on the "My Information" tab and selecting "My Certificates." You will be able to print the certificate if you wish.
This online course covers two basic fusion welds on a thermoplastic bumper cover. If you would like more in-depth training, contact Polyvance at 800-633-3047 or email@example.com to learn about your training options.
• Safety considerations when nitrogen plastic welding.
• How to properly align cracks and tears in plastic bumper covers.
• How to fixture cracks and tears for plastic welding using aluminum tape and hot staples.
• How to properly v-groove the crack to prepare it for welding.
• How to select the proper welding rod profile for a given type of damage.
• The basic fusion welding process using a nitrogen plastic welder, including the variables in the process such as temperature, flow, angle, pressure, and speed.
• How to fusion weld the back and front of a tear in the middle of a bumper cover.
• How to fusion weld the back and front of a tear to the edge of bumper cover including a “cross stitch” weld along the edge to provide reinforcement.
• How to grind and sand the completed weld to prepare it for filler or primer application.
Completion of this course (all lessons must be passed or completed) will earn credit towards the following certificate(s):
|NW1-1 - Safety Considerations||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-2 - Aligning Cracks and Tears||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-3 - Fixturing Cracks and Tears||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-4 - V-grooving the Crack||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-5 - Quiz #1||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-6 - Selecting the Welding Rod Profile||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-7 - The Basic Nitrogen Plastic Welding Process||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-8 - Quiz #2||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-9 - Welding a Tear in the Middle of a Bumper Cover||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-10 - Welding a Tear to the Edge of a Bumper Cover||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-11 - Grinding and Sanding the Completed Weld||Not Enrolled|
|NW1-12 - Quiz #3||Not Enrolled|
|NW1 - Resources - 70 KB: PDF format.|